Today in apocalypse


Our hero battles the Gorilla of Evolution

Our hero battles the Gorilla of Evolution

Writing this post got me thinking about evangelicals, and talking to Blume about evangelicals got us on the subject of great evangelical scams, which of course naturally led to googling Aimee Semple McPherson, plausibly the first modern televangelist (radiovangelist?) and the first evangelical to really try and integrate hollywood-style showmanship. I used to live right down the street from her original temple in Echo Park, which is a truly remarkable example of Old Hollywood style. For all her achievements, though, the rapture fund people would be well advised to come up with a better back story when they attempt to disappear:


At about the same time, Kenneth G. Ormiston, engineer for KFSG, also disappeared. According to American Experience, some believed McPherson and Ormiston, a married man with whom McPherson had developed a close friendship and allegedly had been having an affair, had run off together. About a month after the disappearance, McPherson’s mother, Minnie Kennedy, received a ransom note, signed by “The Avengers”, which demanded a half million dollars to ensure kidnappers would not sell McPherson into “white slavery”. Kennedy later said she tossed the letter away, believing her daughter to be dead.
On June 23, 35 days after her disappearance, McPherson stumbled out of the desert in Agua Prieta, Sonora, a Mexican town just across the border from Douglas, Arizona. She claimed that she had been kidnapped, drugged, tortured, and held for ransom in a shack in Mexico, then had escaped and walked through the desert for about 13 hours to freedom.
Several problems were found with McPherson’s story. Her shoes showed no evidence of a 13-hour walk– indeed, they had grass stains on them after a supposed walk through the desert. The shack could not be found. McPherson showed up fully dressed while having disappeared wearing a bathing suit, and was wearing a wrist watch given to her by her mother, which she had not taken on her swimming trip. A grand jury convened on July 8 to investigate the matter, but adjourned 12 days later citing lack of evidence to proceed. However, several witnesses then came forward stating that they had seen McPherson and Ormiston at various hotels over the 32-day period.
The grand jury re-convened on August 3 and received further testimony, corroborated by documents from hotels in McPherson’s handwriting. McPherson steadfastly stuck to her story that she was approached by a young couple at the beach who had asked her to come over and pray for their sick child, and that she was then shoved into a car and drugged with chloroform. However, when she was not forthcoming with answers regarding her relationship with Ormiston (who was recently estranged from his wife), Judge Samuel Blake charged McPherson and her mother with obstruction of justice on November 3.

Why wouldn’t they beliiiiieeeeve her?


Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: